Thursday 17 April 2014

Irish Newspaper Archives additions

The following titles have been added to the Irish Newspaper Archives website (www.irishnewsarchive.com):

The Connaught Telegraph 1830-1899
The Dundalk Democrat 1849-1913

I picked up on an announcement late last night that the site was offering temporary free access until this morning (password and username both freebie16 - currently still working as I write this). The site has been upgraded, though is still dogged by a slow return on searches made through its new interface. Nevertheless, it is the best online resource - by a long mile - for Irish newspaper research.

Although it was a slow process, a discovery I made last night was that a brother of my two times great gran was one of the first tramway workers to abandon his tram on the street on August 26th 1913, in what became Ireland's most bitter industrial dispute, the Dublin Lockout. Persevere with the site, and you may likely be similarly rewarded!

Chris

Time to find your inner Irish...! All the best online Irish genealogy resources can be found through my book Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet - in print and ebook formats. "Very useful, makes me wish I was Irish!" - Saint Patrick, patron saint.

No comments:

Post a Comment